Monday, October 4, 2010

Merry Christmas Chubby Knitter!

Eaten so far:
Breakfast: Tuna Sandwich
                Yogurt Cup
                 Cup of Coffee
Lunch: Sixpack of Maki Unagi BBQ rolls
           Bottle of ice coffee (not healthy but I needed the energy :( )
Dinner: Half a boiled potatoe
            Seasoned roasted chicken breast (made by my brother and it was ever so tasty)

Knitted thus far:
I finally finished the I Cords for my mom's legwarmers! Now to make the pom poms and then turn to my Christmas knitting! I would take pictures but I just lost power so all I have are pictures I took before the lights went out.

Do you ever hate when you get behind? How about when you get behind by accident...when you totally thought you were ahead?

That happened to me this week. I try really hard to keep up with my work. Reading has always been a struggle for me and I have to read things multiple times to really grasp its message. So being focused on that made me completely miss the fact that I had a paper due this past Wednesday. Imagine the shock and horror I feel when I enter the classroom and see people handing in papers. O.O <~~~ That's really how I looked.

I couldn't lie and say the dog ate it so I fessed up to the teacher and explained that I sincerely missed this and was so sorry and would turn it in ASAP. I felt sick to my stomach over it. I know it's a mistake everyone makes but I already have the sense this lady does not like me or does not understand me. I really wanted to make a good impression and I failed by completely glossing over the fact I had a paper due. So I made a plan to work on this paper on Saturday.
Friday, I had to see my grandfather. It's coming up on the anniversary of my grandmother's passing (it's tomorrow actually) and this time of the year is very hard for us, but especially him. He really just wanted to sit and talk about her and how could I deny him? So I went despite the fact that I really did have homework to do. I know..I know. I am supposed to be a responsible student and do my work. I really only have this semester and next semester before I graduate but it's really hard to think about ignoring my extended family since as Puerto Ricans, we don't have extended family, just a big family.
I didn't get to spend much time with him because I got a call from my aunt (mom's sister) that she needed me to come and get her son so she can have a night of fun. Wait...did I say this right? Does it make her sound bad? Well good, cause it was exactly how it came out. I was appalled but I figured it would be safer to get the kid out of there rather than leaving him with his mother who's sole intention this weekend was to, as she put it, "party."
So my cousin and I rode home to my mom's and the rest of the night I chatted with my mom, had a drink, and skipped the Young Adult group meeting just this once. I had felt so overwhelmed from school this week I just wanted to go to my room and watch Doctor Who. (Big Doctor Who fan!)
Saturday approached way too soon for me and now started my feat of strength, my test of endurance, my paper. Now a simple 3 to 5 page paper may seem like nothing, and in reality it is really not that bad. The part that really bit was having to read the two books that were required for the paper. I have never loved and hated a person so much after having to spend hours reading two books about him. This man is named John Dewey. No no no, I was not reading about the Dewey Decimal system! (I really had someone ask me that today...a fellow Education grad student!) Dewey was a part of the progressive school movement, a philosopher who encouraged children be educated through structured experiences and inquiry. The topic is really fascinating and I did love the idea of children exploring their world...but from 9 am til about 9 pm? I can only love someone for so long before wanting to strangle them. From 9pm til midnight, I worked on the paper and emailed it in right away. I wanted the damn thing out of my sight.
Sunday was a semi better day. I went in early for church with my brother and cousin. I manned the tables for the bake off sign up during the Barn Dance our Young Adult group is sponsoring. I met a lot of really nice people from encouraging them to sign up. I am still kind of new to this place and just getting to know people. I enjoyed a group called Mosaic as they performed during our service. It's a very talented group of people who sang worship songs. Just have to say, LOVED IT! If you're into worship music here is their link. (Click Here)
The only thing that really saddened me that day was having to take my cousin back to his mother. I really hated that part. My aunt never used to be so crass or cold. When we were kids, my aunt was always the cool aunt, going bike riding with us, going to museums on the Free days, taking us to visit our great grandparents when they were still with us, and all that kind of stuff. Where it went wrong I don't know but right now I don't care. I just can't imagine watching my little cousin (he's about 12) going through those feelings of being unwanted. It hurts me because I know his older brother suffered the same and now his older brother is God knows where.

These are the things I just need to put into God's hands and let Him work it out.


On a lighter note....

I got my KnitPicks order today!! I was walking out my front door when lo' and behold there it was sitting on the front stoop. I picked it up and brought it in but had to leave it behind without opening the box because I had to go to class. I was itching to get home as soon as possible so when Dr. K let us out early today I practically rushed home. I wanted to prolong the anticipation (Oh how cruel I am to myself) so I sat down and ate dinner, chit chatted with my mom, then proceeded up the stairs to my room. Once I closed the door I ripped open the box and pulled everything out one by one. I took pictures of every step so here we go.


The tape just ripped apart and....*breath deeply*

Yarn! Glorious beautiful soft yarn!!

And under that KP Swish is....? More yarn! Yay!

Alas it can not all be yarn...or can it? There is my new Chart Holder from KP..a very nifty contraption.

And there are my new needles...I decided to give the KP Harmony set a try. We shall see how they perform in the Chubby Knitter's hands!

My new book "Vampire Knits." For those who don't know, I have a black soul (At least that's what my sister says) and I have a love for things that are dark and sinister. (Not necessarily evil just mysterious)
And my second book, "Big Book of Socks." I've been wanting to really nail down sock knitting for a while but requests keep popping up and they go further and further down the list. I have lots of Felici Yarn from KP and I am so anxious to make myself a pair of Doctor Who socks! (Time Traveler Felici Sock Yarn)

And there it is...my full KP Order. Starting at the bottom I have 7 hanks of KP Swish Bulky in Hawk (Dad and brother's scarves). To the right of that I have two hanks of KP Swish Bulky in Coal (Brother in law's hat). Right above the Swish in Coal is KP Shamrock in Stuart (It's a blue-ish yellow tweed looking yarn. It's for my sister's headband), To the left of that is Felici in Marine Life (3 skeins just for myself). Above the Felici is my KP Harmony knitting needle set (That too is a Christmas present from me for me). To the right of the needles is my Chart Holder from KP. Then my two books "Vampire Knit" and "The Big Book of Socks"

If anyone has reviews over any of the items shown please leave comments!

Til next time dear reader, happy knittin'

3 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed watching you open your KP box! Fantastic Haul!!! You'll enjoy that chart keeper, I use mine all the time and the yarns look soooo yummy!! ENJOY!

    Happy Knitting!
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great haul!!! I haven't bought the chartkeeper, as I mostly use pdfs up on my laptop screen, but I adore my knit picks harmony set and my Felici yarn. Yummmmmmy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the good cheer ladies!

    Thus far I have been working on Christmas scarves for my dad and brother using both the chart holder, the Harmony needles, and the KP Swish in Hawk. I am loving them all and the pointiness makes such a difference in how fast I can go.

    Happy Knitting Ladies!

    Meli

    ReplyDelete